The Queen donates to Christchurch appeal
Published: 11:07AM Saturday March 19, 2011 Source: ONE News
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has extended her support to the people of Christchurch through a donation to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal.
The donation follows the announcement that Prince William and fiance Kate Middleton have nominated the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal as one of a small group of charities in their Royal Wedding charitable gift fund.
Prime Minister John Key today thanked the Queen for her support, through the Queen's Charitable Trust.
"Her Majesty's charitable trust will be making a monetary donation to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal, which is a generous and gratefully received measure of support for the people of Christchurch.
"I am sure New Zealanders will join me in thanking Her Majesty for her kind support at such a tragic time for the city," Key said.
The amount of the donation is not known.
The appeal, which has so far raised just over $18 million, is intended to address the gap between emergency support provided by other charitable agencies, and core government responsibilities.
Key also reiterated his gratitude to the Queen's grandson, Prince William, who visited Christchurch and Greymouth this week.
The Prince spent time with emergency workers, toured the Christchurch CBD red zone and addressed the 100,000 strong crowd at Hagley Park for the National memorial service yesterday.
"Prince William's visit was deeply humbling and was met with so much enthusiasm and goodwill from New Zealanders.
"I know the Prince's attending the Christchurch Earthquake Memorial Service in Her Majesty's stead made the event an even more moving and memorable occasion," he said.
He also spent time with the families of the victims of the 29 miners who died in the Pike River mining tragedy last November.
Prince William left for Australia at 9.00am this morning, where he will visit those affected by floods in Queensland and Victoria.