Follow by Email

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

300,000 claims lodged

300,000 claims lodged

NICOLE MATHEWSON
Last updated 16:00 26/04/2011
 
The Canterbury earthquakes are the "largest natural disaster the country has faced" with over 300,000 claims lodged to the Earthquake Commission and $840 million paid out since September 4, Earthquake Recovery minister Gerry Brownlee said today. 

As of today, EQC has received 302,440 claims, with 184,399 relating to the September 4 earthquake and subsequent aftershocks on October 19, November 14, December 26, January 20 and February 4.

A further 118,041 claims were lodged with EQC following the February 22 earthquake and the 5.3 magnitude aftershock on April 16, with the commission receiving about 1,300 new claims daily.

The events of the past seven months in Canterbury rank as one of the biggest natural disasters worldwide, Brownlee said.

"Prior to the tragic events in Japan last month, Hurricane Katrina was the world's costliest insurance event, generating around 600,000 claims. This puts what has happened in Canterbury into perspective."

Brownlee said the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority is working with EQC and other agencies to produce a "comprehensive picture of the state of the land in Canterbury" to be used as the basis for further EQC claims payments.

Following February's quake EQC moved quickly to assess all Christchurch properties, prioritising homes for full assessments based on the degree of damage, Brownlee said.

Almost 7000 full assessments have been completed by EQC since late March.

No comments:

Post a Comment