Follow by Email

Friday, March 4, 2011

Quake cordon reduced Sunday

Quake cordon reduced Sunday

NZPA March 4, 2011, 7:13 pm
 
The cordon blocking off central Christchurch after last week's destructive earthquake will be reduced on Sunday.

The CBD sustained massive damage in the shallow 6.3 earthquake which hit at 12.51pm, on February 22.

Civil Defence head John Hamilton said today four green zones had been established at the edge of the cordon area and two of those would be open to the public at 2pm on Sunday.

Residents and business owners would be able to access the cordons from 8am to secure their properties, Mr Hamilton told a press conference late this afternoon.

They would need to take identification and proof of address to gain access.

One zone was bordered by Rolleston Ave, Armagh St, Durham St and Moorhouse Ave, the other bordered by Fitzgerald Ave, Moorhouse Ave, Barbadoes St and Oxford Tce.

There would be a 30kmh speed limit in the areas.

Information centres would be set up in each zone for residents and business owners to find out more about essential services, welfare and structural building issues, Mr Hamilton said.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said the roads in the area were still badly damaged and "dangerous".

"We're not in a position where having people coming in just to have a look at what has happened is a safe or a good thing to do.

"It will clutter the roads up. It will create more dust and frankly it's something that for the people who live in those areas, they find more than annoying. They actually find it quite upsetting at this time."

A walk to see the worst earthquake damage would be held some time during the next couple of weeks to help Christchurch residents grieve, Mr Parker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment